The Ramakrishna Mission is a registered charitable society helping everyone to work for “One’s own liberation and for the welfare of the world as well.” Its ideals are renunciation and service; and it serves humanity in a spirit of worship of God in all beings, in all possible fields irrespective of caste, creed, etc.
The Ramakrishna Mission has a total of 177 branches out of which 38 are in foreign lands. Its Head Quarters are at Belur Math, in Howrah district, North of Kolkata. The activities of the Mission include:-
- Primary relief during floods, famines, cyclones,earthquakes etc. and rehabilitation work later.
- Medical services: Mission has 14 major hospitals, 104 dispensaries and 42 mobile dispensaries.
- Educational: The Mission runs 6 degree colleges, one Sanskrit college, 5 teacher’s training colleges, 20 higher secondary schools, 135 schools of different grades, 4 polytechnics, 105 hostels and 5 rural development institutions.
- Integrated rural development and tribal development programmes.
- Children and youth activities.
- Spiritual and cultural activities.